Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"Hybrid Mom of the Week"

This online article was featured today at Hybrid Mom Magazine.
Click here to view the original article

Please tell us more about the business and when you started it.

I started making jewelry 10 years ago, and earned a Graduate Gemologist degree from the Gemological Institute of America. I sold my creations off and on at craft fairs and it was really just a hobby while I worked in the accounting field. When my third child was born stillborn two weeks before his due date, my world shattered and my life was forever changed. It was a long journey of grief, healing, and self discovery that continues today. When my subsequent son was born, I decided that I didn't want to just "forget about" my loss and move on. I felt compelled to make a difference somehow and to turn my loss into triumph. My Forever Child started in 2004 and has grown by leaps and bounds. My handcrafted jewelry is sold across the globe, and is extremely popular in my niche market, bereaved parents. I have designs specifically to bring awareness and healing for miscarriage and infant loss. I specialize in engraving children's actual handprint and footprint images into sterling silver and 14K gold charms, pendants, keychains and cufflinks. I love being able to help put a smile on someone's face and for them to feel closer to their child. I strongly believe in paying it forward. I donate lapel pins to memory box programs given to newly bereaved mothers and fathers. I also regularly donate to child advocacy charities and to research programs to help put an end to the loss of precious lives.

How do you define Hybrid?

Hybrid to me means having the best of both worlds- working at something you love that helps support your family, and being an involved parent.

Tell us how your "What’s Next" moment occurred and what did it mean to you.

After my fourth child was six-months-old, I pressured myself to go back to work part-time. But I took a position that I didn't like and for a company that I wasn't thrilled about. I felt like I was selling my time with my baby son just for money, and this made me very unhappy. It was then that I actively started to develop my business plan. I knew I couldn't be happy working for someone else's vision.

What are your biggest challenges?

My biggest challenges are not having enough time or energy to do everything well. It's a constant juggling act between running the business, making jewelry, creating new designs, photography, website maintenance, etc. Plus the kids, house, pets, laundry, food shopping, cleaning, etc. My older children are very involved in sports and activities. When they come home from school, the day just gets crazier! I know it's not possible to be able to do everything, but I get down on myself if I feel that I'm not living up to my potential.

What are your aspirations?

I aspire to have my business be more widely recognized; to contribute towards helping put an end to child loss; to continue to grow as an artisan while helping my customers through their journeys.

What are your interests?

I enjoy sharing in my children's interests, spending alone time with my husband, connecting with friends, learning new artistic skills (although I can get in over my head by not finishing projects!), reading inspirational, spiritual, and success stories of others, and relaxing amongst nature.

What inspires you?

My customers are my ultimate inspiration. I am continually touched by their stories of love, loss, and hope. It is because of them and the precious children in their hearts that I continue on this path.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I enjoyed reading that and learning more about you! Thanks for sharing!